Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Weight-Loss Wednesday #1

Today at the library I finally was able to get the book I have been waiting anxiously for... 

Photobucket


The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper! It was published on May 15, 2012 and I was on the waiting list at my library for about a month-ish. I am soooo glad I got on the list earlier or I could have been waiting awhile!

Here is a brief description of the book for those of you who are not familiar with this book...

"THE LAST DIET BOOK YOU’LL EVER NEED

With so much conflicting weight-loss advice out there to confuse your efforts, it’s no wonder you haven’t been successful losing weight and keeping it off. But with Bob Harper, superstar trainer and co-host of NBC’s hit show The Biggest Loser as your personal authority and coach, you can and will finally shed the pounds—whether you want to lose two or two hundred!

Distilling Bob’s vast knowledge of nutrition, weight-loss strategy, and human nature down to twenty simple, nonnegotiable principles, The Skinny Rules will help you step away from a reliance on processed foods and the need for so much sweet and salt and step into a newly thin lifestyle. And Bob’s methods couldn’t be more straightforward.

Taking the guesswork out of implementing the Skinny Rules, Bob offers a month’s worth of menu plans and more than 90 delicious, rule-abiding recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks to keep you cooking and eating skinny for life. You’ll be happily astounded to see the variety and volume of the tasty food on your plate! He also includes terrific tips for what to stock in your fridge and what to prepare every weekend in order to set yourself up for success during your too-busy-to-cook weekdays.

A virtual GPS to your weight-loss goals, The Skinny Rules takes the mystery out of the process, offering the fastest route to your skinny destination.

LOSING WEIGHT IS NOW AS SIMPLE AS 1-2-3 . . . AND 3-15-18-20 TOO!
[via]

For those of you who are interested in this book you can get it HERE on Amazon, in hardcover, in Kindle edition, or on audiobook. You can also be like me and get it from your local library for free!

Now, all of that being said, with the starting up of the LoseAMarathon Challenge HERE, I have decided that while I will be weighing in on Mondays for the challenge (and Thursdays for my own personal wishes) that I also wanted to start a weekly bloggy link-up for all of my fitness-conscious bloggy buddies who wish to participate. 

Without further ado I would like to introduce you to "Weight-Loss Wednesdays"! This is my (and your) opportunity to look at what sorts of things are working, what things aren't working, and what new things we might like to try as we progress on our weight-loss journeys.

I don't want this to be too structured, but I thought for the first 13 weeks while I am doing the LoseAMarathon Challenge, I could utilize the 20 "rules" that Bob Harper lays out in his book.

I have decided that since there are 20 rules that I will discuss 2 rules every other week and 1 rule every other week... (if that is confusing just think of it this way... Week 1 = rules 1 and 2, week 2 = rule 3, week 4 = rules 4 and 5, and so on.)

I will share the rule(s) here on my blog and then discuss how I am will work toward incorporating them into my weight loss, or if I am already doing so I will discuss that and how it is working (or not working) 

If you wish to participate you can do so by linking-up on Wednesdays and sharing how you are working toward incorporating the "rules" etc. 

Rule #1 - Drink a large glass of water BEFORE every meal - NO EXCUSES!

Bob re-iterates the importance of staying hydrated and he specifically emphasizes the importance of drinking your first glass of water within 15 minutes of waking up. He also emphasizes how you can burn increasing amounts of calories, just by drinking water! That is definitely something I can get on board with! :)

While I am getting a lot better about drinking water regularly and staying hydrated, but I am definitely not drinking a full glass of water within 15 minutes of waking up! This is something that I want to set as a personal goal for myself.

Rule #2 - Don't Drink Your Calories  

Love soft drinks? Love fancy coffee drinks? Love alcohol? Yes, they may taste good, but do you realize they often have the caloric content of a full meal?

I recently decided to stop drinking soda. It has been tough and I won't say that I haven't slipped up and drank soda on occasion, but it is definitely not the staple it used to be in my life.

If you have an addiction to soda Bob suggests slowly weaning off of it by experimenting with other flavored drinks without calories. Like the fizz? Try seltzer water with lemon juice. Make unsweetened tea, or juice! 

I will admit, I love coffee. When I am getting coffee out and about I will generally try to be good and get non-fat, sugar-free, no whip, etc. Which is better than full calories any time, but it is still something I need to work on. I enjoy a cup of coffee every morning and I do enjoy nondairy creamer. Bob suggests using skim milk or soy milk if you cannot drink just black coffee. Do not add sugar. This is something that I would like to try to do and will report back on.

**As of right now I do not have a cute little button (or any button for that matter) for this link-up, but rest assured, I will soon! 

Don't forget to link-up below so that I can see your post!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a post to share since I don't write about this topic on my blog much, but I agree about water. When I have been drinking lots of cold water, and especially at the table before a meal, I do tend to have smaller portions!

    ReplyDelete