Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for...Driving

After a lot of thought, I determined that today I would discuss driving.

A little something you may not know about me is that I did not get my driver's license until the day before I turned 20 years old.

That's correct. I was almost 20 years old.

In Oregon an individual can get a driver's permit at the age of 15 and can then get a driver's license at the age of 16.

You may wonder why I waited so long. I wish I had a good answer. But I don't.

It's not that I wasn't smart enough to pass the tests, I definitely was. I just wasn't motivated. In all honesty I don't think I cared much.

Obviously I liked the idea of being able to drive, but that was pretty much where my interested ended.

I was involved in a lot of sports and extra curriculars at school and honestly I didn't really have a need for a license. I grew up in a small town and we always lived within walking distance of my school. The necessity for a license just wasn't there.

It kind of changed when I was in college because I suddenly had more desire to be independent. However at that point I was dating a guy who had a license and was willing to drive me pretty much wherever I wanted to go AND I didn't really have the time to study for the test (or so I would say to justify my decision).

Things finally changed when I started dating Joe, who is my fiance and who I have been with for almost 7 years. Joe did not want to be my chauffeur. I don't blame him. He pushed me and prodded me to get my license.

I decided I wanted to have a car first, so I ended up purchasing my very first car, with cash, before getting my license.

A couple months after that I took my driver's test, in my car, and passed. I have now had my license for close to 6 years and I have never been happier of the freedom and ability that having it has given me.

I no longer have to wait for rides. I no longer have to rely on others or feel like I am a burden. It is such a freeing feeling.

**This post is for the April A to Z Challenge

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I was dying for my license! But, I lived pretty far away from my high school so that made a difference.

    Now, I hate driving and wish someone would drive me around! haha :)

    ReplyDelete